Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y
Maria Maria is offline

Default Worth it to have Economy 7?

On 12/8/2010 6:54 PM, AlanG wrote:
On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 17:57:37 +0000, wrote:

On 12/8/2010 3:21 PM, AlanG wrote:
On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 10:09:11 +0000, wrote:

Mine's brand new - I didn't have a choice about the make as it was
installed under the government's Warm Front scheme.
After it was installed, I looked up the boiler and it's about 5 from the
bottom on the list of reliability - there are numerous threads on forums
about the scheme, and it seems that the government bought a job lot of
cheap boilers to use on this scheme.
It might have been better to give us a voucher to use to choose (our let
our plumber choose) which boiler to install, and possibly would have
been cheaper also.

We qualify for a grant towards a boiler but it would have taken so
long to get it we had a new one fitted when the old one finally died.

We were told in April we could have it, it packed up completely in
October, and we got the new one in February, about a week before the
cold snap ended. Natch.

The installer recommended one of these
http://www.tradingdepot.co.uk/DEF/pr...ANTAPLUS28C!!/

But said he could fit a cheaper one if we were not thinking of staying
in the house for more than a couple of years. He recommended the
Remaha or Vaillant for quality and reliability both at just under
£2000 fitted. I could have saved several hundred pounds by getting a
B&Q boiler instead then spent a couple of hundred a year keeping it in
running order

Valliant's a good make I think, but then I thought Potterton was until
it spat out a circuit board once a year, always about two weeks outside
the guarantee period.

Maybe you had a narrow escape - this is what my new boiler looks like -

(no it's not a dodgy photo - the pipes are not parallel)

http://www.tajarts.co.uk/boiler.jpg

I really sound ungrateful but if I want to rent the house out in the
future I'm going to have to do something about it.

That is a complete and total utter bodge. If that lot cost over 2000
then someone somewhere is wearing a mask and carrying a bag marked
swag

2.5k according to the invoice thing I had to sign.
The bloke was really ill with some terminal disease and had two thick
sons doing the donkey work. It put me in a bit of a quandary, and I
didn't feel that I should complain. I hoped that the WF inspector might
say something, but he seemed to think it was acceptable - it works and I
suppose that's satisfactory.