Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default Worth it to have Economy 7?

harry wrote:
On Dec 8, 2:50 pm, harry wrote:
On Dec 8, 11:45 am, "Ret." wrote:

Jeff Gaines wrote:
On 08/12/2010 in message
Ret. wrote:

I once lived in a house that had storage radiators. They were
utterly utterly useless - particularly in Spring and Autumn when
temperatures tend to fluctuate considerably.

They heat up overnight - and so if the next day is mild, you are
having to throw the windows open to release some of the heat
because the house is so hot. They tend to have lost most of their
heat by the middle of the afternoon - and so you then have to
rely on additional (usually expensive) heat sources to keep the
house warm for the rest of the afternoon and evening. For a
couple that both work and are out of the house for most of the
day - they are simply a nonsense because the house is nice and
warm while they are out - and not warm enough when they get back
home.

I'd be very interested to have some suggestions on alternatives.
I'm in a reasonably well insulated mid-terrace house with E7 and
just 2 storage heaters - 1 in the hall and 1 in the lounge. I'm
retired so here all the time, no statistics yet as I moved in a
month ago today. Electric is the only option, no gas and nowhere
for an oil tank.
The 2 bedrooms have electric panel heaters, I turn the one in my
bedroom on an hour before bedtime and turn the electric blanket on
at the same time. I turn the heater off when I go to bed and just
get dressed PDQ each morning.
Would I be better off with non storage heaters on a normal tariff
and just turn them on when needed?

I think you need to speak to a heating engineer on what are your
best options. It is possible, of course, to run a gas system off
propane tanks - but I have no idea of the cost of propane
whole-house heating.

--
Kev- Hide quoted text -

Propane is the most expensive heating option you can have.- Hide
quoted text -

The one thing you can say aout storage heaters is that they are
relatively cheap to install. And you can take them with you when you
move. Should you want to!

Relatively cheap to install apart from the electric supply to each heater,
the new CU and the £200 to buy each heater!
--
Adam