Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
AlanG AlanG is offline

Default Worth it to have Economy 7?

On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 09:13:43 +0000, PeterC
wrote:

On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 20:57:40 +0000 (GMT), Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 09:03:05 -0800 (PST), js.b1 wrote:

Southern Region
Standard 12.78p
E7 15.54p day--5.43p night, all inc Vat

I guess they do not want E7 people.

N-Power Sign Online Dual Fuel V18
Electricity - Day...... 4.98p inc VAT (*1)
Electricity - Night ...10.67p inc VAT (*1)
Gas ....................... 2.42p inc VAT (*1)

Ebico rates are not the best but you only pay for what you use, there
are no standing charges in any form. Which is the context of this
sub-thread.

Yes, I was on a lower rate but the standing charge, on low useage, was a
significant burden. Tried another supplier - that went to front-end loading
and I was always within that band.
Ebico was a tad more per unit but cheaper overall.

I must look at my bill again. I am on E7 but have much less than 30% on
night rate. I stuck with it as I've a storage heater - kept it as standby if
the combi breaks down. Can a combi 'sense' when there's no back-up?

It would probably be cheaper in the long term to get rid of E7 and buy
a mobile gas heater and a bottle of gas.
http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalo..._Heater.ht ml

First year we were in this house the combi stopped working at
christmas. Had two firms out but they couldn't fix it. We ended up
buying a gas heater while I tracked down someone who knew the type of
combi we had. It was actually the company who sold us the gas heater
who gave us the name of an installer who regularly bought spares for
this type of combi boiler. Still took a week to get it fixed

We still have the heater and one and a half bottles of gas but haven't
had to use them for over ten years.