Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Worth it to have Economy 7?

On Dec 7, 11:25*pm, "I am not Spartacus"
wrote:
"MM" wrote in message

... I was just checking my expected electricity bill and compared Southern
Electric's tariffs for standard domestic consumption (11.51p a unit in
my area) against their Economy 7 Night Rate (5.06p), i.e. a lot
cheaper.

Economy 7 is utter crap. *It is cheap to run but extremely inflexible. *On
cold days, the storage heaters cool down in the afternoon and you have to
rely on full tariff electricity or gas to heat the house in the evening. If
you guess cold day but it's a warm day the next day, you are wasting energy
and sweltering as you can't adjust the storage heaters. *I had it 20 years
ago. *I would not buy any house that had Economy 7 installed.

Things have improved a bit since then. The output of most storage
heaters can be controlled. But you still need to look at the weather
forecast ideally.