Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y
Jeff Gaines Jeff Gaines is offline

Default Worth it to have Economy 7?

On 08/12/2010 in message Ret.
wrote:

I once lived in a house that had storage radiators. They were utterly
utterly useless - particularly in Spring and Autumn when temperatures tend
to fluctuate considerably.

They heat up overnight - and so if the next day is mild, you are having to
throw the windows open to release some of the heat because the house is so
hot. They tend to have lost most of their heat by the middle of the
afternoon - and so you then have to rely on additional (usually expensive)
heat sources to keep the house warm for the rest of the afternoon and
evening. For a couple that both work and are out of the house for most of
the day - they are simply a nonsense because the house is nice and warm
while they are out - and not warm enough when they get back home.

I'd be very interested to have some suggestions on alternatives.
I'm in a reasonably well insulated mid-terrace house with E7 and just 2
storage heaters - 1 in the hall and 1 in the lounge. I'm retired so here
all the time, no statistics yet as I moved in a month ago today.
Electric is the only option, no gas and nowhere for an oil tank.
The 2 bedrooms have electric panel heaters, I turn the one in my bedroom
on an hour before bedtime and turn the electric blanket on at the same
time. I turn the heater off when I go to bed and just get dressed PDQ each
morning.
Would I be better off with non storage heaters on a normal tariff and just
turn them on when needed?

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.