Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default G-codes past RS-274 a waste?

On 2010-12-07, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in
:

O.K. It may have another parameter for width of frame, and when
not set, it defaults to normal pocketing.

Possible, but the one example I have is _supposed_ to mill an island, and
doesn't, just a pocket.

O.K. An island is sort of like what I was thinking of -- but
just not penetrating through the workpiece. And then, yes it *should*
have extra parameters to show the size of the outer part and the island
itself. The example must be missing something. (Hmm ... perhaps an
M-code is used to set two of the parameters prior to invoking the others
in the G-code?) Does the example code have an M-code somewhere above
the G-code in question -- or perhaps immediately following it? (There
are some G-codes which work like that on my little Emco-Maier Compact-5
CNC lathe, and some which are extremely picky about the values of
parameters, e.g. when turning a radius of less than 90 degrees. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564