Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default interior SER cable usage in 2008 NEC

On 2010-12-07, bud-- wrote:

I'm not following what the change was.

I don't see a code specified temp rating for SE. I would think it then
can be used at the rating marked on the cable. It must be derated if
ambient will be higher (including thermal insulation).

2008 NEC 338.10(B)(4)(a) says:

Interior Installations. In addition to the provisions of this
article, Type SE service-entrance cable used for interior wiring
shall comply with the installation requirements of Part II of
Article 334.

Article 334 is for NM cable, so this basically says that if you are
using SER for interior branch circuits or feeders, you have to treat
it like NM. In particular 334.80 limits the ampacity of NM to the 60
degree column.

I read that. Most of Part 2 is mechanical installation requirements. I
would not call a 60C limit an installation requirement.

Earlier versions of 338.10(B)(4)(a) included a specific exemption from
334.80, but that got deleted in 2005 or 2008.

That certainly agrees with what you wrote above.

--
bud--