Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Pfeiffer Joe Pfeiffer is offline

Default Rearview mirror glue

"DoN. Nichols" writes:

On 2010-12-06, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Ignoramus4371" wrote in message
I want to glue a piece of steel to my truck's windshield, with some
threaded holes so I can attach anything to it (such as radar detector,
parking permits etc).

My question is, what sort of steel glues best and what is the right
surface prep. Should I sandpaper it? Should I sandpaper the glass?
What is that rearview glue exactly?

Also what is the minimum ambient temp at which I can do the gluing.

I tried some of that rear view mirror glue once ages ago, and the mirror
fell off again in a couple weeks. I followed the instruction on the back
exactly. I sanded the puck and the glass and put it back with JB Weld. It
stayed. Infact when the car was junked I tried to save the mirror because
the one in my truck then was cracked. I had to break the windshield and
grind off the glass to get the puck.

Hmm ... I used the rear view mirror glue also -- following the
directions o the back -- and it lasted until the front windshield had to
be replaced because of a rock crack. (FWIW, the car was a Mazada Navajo
(like a Ford Explorer, but two-door.)

IIRC -- there was a container of solvent in the kit which you
had to break and quickly scrub the area of attachment -- both the mirror
stem and the window surface.

I went three or four years with an annual reglue of the mirror puck
(with careful sanding, cleaning with alcohol, and use of the solvent) in
my old Lebaron, using the "official" cement (once bought from Chrysler,
other times from NAPA). When I gave up and JB Welded it, it stayed on
from then until we sold the car, probably a decade or more later.