Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric car, was 200a service

On 12/6/2010 10:18 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 21:20:47 -0500,
wrote:

My electric ran on lead-acid batteries and a DC motor, just like an
old Baker.
The cost for equivalent range on LiOn batteries would be over 5o times
as high, and they were not available when I had mine. The chager would
be more expensive too.

For the same weight, the range would have been WAY more, along with
the price.

Newer motor control systems are a lot more efficient too - and a top
line PWM FET controller today is about half the price an old GE SCR or
ALLIS Transistorized controller was in the '80s. (and a lot smaller,
lighter, and more efficient - with more features)

I agree the technology can take advantage of better batteries and
better motors but the payback still is way out there ... assuming you
never wreck it.

The two ton elephant in the room is still the heat and the air
conditioner. Where are you getting 20,000 BTUH? That is about what a
regular HAVC system is, both ways.
In a permanently temperate climate you may be able to just open the
windows but you are not driving where water freezes or anywhere in the
sun belt. Actually most of the US population thinks A/C is a must in
the summer.

Your $50,000 Volt might be like a 56 Morgan. Fun to drive on a nice
spring day but you are not going out in the snow.

I do seem to remember the old air cooled VW Beetle having an option for
a gasoline burning auxiliary heater for those really cold climates. I
suppose a propane heater for the new electric cars and perhaps a big
insulated compartment for ice to use to air condition them in warmer
weather. People seem to forget the simplest details when it comes to
alternative energy used for transportation. :-)

TDD