Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What's the R-value of a fireplace?

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 16:18:16 -0800 (PST), The Ghost in The Machine
wrote:

On Dec 6, 7:13*pm, "
wrote:
On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 21:51:48 -0800 (PST), The Ghost in The Machine

wrote:
On Dec 6, 12:43 am, "
wrote:
On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 22:36:35 -0500, aemeijers wrote:
On 12/5/2010 9:36 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
wrote:

I've got this red brick fireplace taking up half a wall.
Capped the chimney decades ago, but it's still siting
there conducting heat outa' the place thru the bricks.
How would one go about calculating the "R-value"
to estimate the heat loss. Any useful rules of thumb?

Trying to decide whether to put insulation over the bricks
on inside or outside or both.

Have you talked to your tax assessor and your insurance company to see
how much you'd save each year if it wasn't there. Then calculate the
heat loss& how much it would cost to tear it down and put a proper
wall there. If you're not using it, you can probably make better
use of the wall space.

Jim

Also walk around your neighborhood, and see what percentage of the
houses have fireplaces. If yours is the only one WITHOUT a fireplace, it
could make it harder to sell when the time comes, for you or your heirs.

Oh, but we're not supposed to think about resale value, here in AHR.

DAYUM KRACKMAN YOU ARE A REGULAR ASS OF ALL TRADES ARENT YOU.
PATECUM

STFU, Roy.

EAT **** DRUG ADDICT, ROY DOESNT LIVE HERE ANY MORE.

You were never among the living, Roy. Living requires a brain.