Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rearview mirror glue

On 2010-12-06, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Ignoramus4371" wrote in message
I want to glue a piece of steel to my truck's windshield, with some
threaded holes so I can attach anything to it (such as radar detector,
parking permits etc).

My question is, what sort of steel glues best and what is the right
surface prep. Should I sandpaper it? Should I sandpaper the glass?
What is that rearview glue exactly?

Also what is the minimum ambient temp at which I can do the gluing.

I tried some of that rear view mirror glue once ages ago, and the mirror
fell off again in a couple weeks. I followed the instruction on the back
exactly. I sanded the puck and the glass and put it back with JB Weld. It
stayed. Infact when the car was junked I tried to save the mirror because
the one in my truck then was cracked. I had to break the windshield and
grind off the glass to get the puck.

Hmm ... I used the rear view mirror glue also -- following the
directions o the back -- and it lasted until the front windshield had to
be replaced because of a rock crack. (FWIW, the car was a Mazada Navajo
(like a Ford Explorer, but two-door.)

IIRC -- there was a container of solvent in the kit which you
had to break and quickly scrub the area of attachment -- both the mirror
stem and the window surface.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564