Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Miklos[_2_] Tony Miklos[_2_] is offline

Default Harbor Freight wood stove?

On 12/6/2010 7:36 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Tony wrote:

Third page of the first flyer. Anyone have one of these Vogelzang
"boxwood" stoves? How are they for a garage? It wouldn't be running
all the time, just when I expect to spend a lot of time in the garage.
It's cast iron, but thin enough to get hot fast. I don't know if it has
any firebrick or not, which for quick heat I don't want firebrick. It
has to be safer than the 55 gallon drum stoves... doesn't it?

Not necessarily. A 55 gal drum might fail in a few months- but
you'll see it coming. [and I've seen some that aren't abused lasting
years and years]

Cast can fail rather dramatically& with no warning. While you're in
the kitchen pouring a hot cup of coffee, giving the fire in your
garage a while to get going, the *fire* in your garage can be getting
going.

I haven't looked at these stoves& am overall a supporter of HF
quality when it is suitable. . . but a wood stove probably surpasses
my risk/reward boundaries.

I'd look on Craigslist for something slightly used. [and BTW-- if
you're buying wood- forget it. Wood is the least efficient, most
dangerous way to heat your garage. Even LP is cheaper if you're
buying it. That's why there are lots of woodstoves on Craigslist]

I have a portable job site type propane heater (bullet, 'jet engine
type)and 2 100 gallon tanks that I can take to get filled. LPG costs
almost as much as electric here. I wouldn't be buying any wood, I have
a few acres of woods.