Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Amount of lighting

On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 14:26:03 -0500, Bill
wrote:

On 12/6/2010 11:01 AM, Bill wrote:
On 12/6/2010 10:50 AM, Bill wrote:

No comment. gd&r

Someone suggested (I could not locate the post) that if I wanted quiet
fluorescent lights, then I should look for those with an "A" rating.

Putting that detail aside temporarily. What would be the practical
differences between a "standard electronic ballast with 20% THD"
and an "instant on electronic ballast with 10% THD"?

My first guess would be price.

Continuing to research my question, evidently low THD is better for
the components in the lighting system (capacitors, etc) and may provide
lower cost in the form of the longer life for the system.

But is it cost-effective? Some people are downright proud of their
simple fluor lamp fixtures, asking several hundred dollars for the
same quality you get in a $50 fixture. Downright Festerful, and
sellin' that name!

Pitiful question: If 8 fluorescent fixtures are wired in a series, and
the ballast in one of them fails, do all of the lights go out? Assume a
"modern" fixture.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt! E R R O R !

If the answer to the question above is yes, this suggests "Lew's wiring
design" should be wired (using 12-3 THHN) with 2 parallel (pairs of)
circuits with 4 fixtures wired on each row. Then if one of the
fixtures went bad only two of them would go out (either the ones on L1
or the ones on L2 in a given row). Is this correct?

Residential fixtures are wired in parallel, not series, Bill.
_Always_.

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London