Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Do I really need 200 A main service? (Now: OT GM rescue)

wrote in message news:5ca819fb-5d9e-4cf6-a0e5-

stuff snipped

obama did a good thing keeping GM in america.

Agreed. We have so little manufacturing capability left in the US that it
was important to hang on to GM. When a manufacturer goes bankrupt, it's far
different than when a bunch of paper-pushing bandits like Lehman Brothers
goes under. There are tools, factories, people with know-how that will be
broken up and that constitutes a serious loss that would be very hard to
rebuild. Was GM mismanaged? Of course. Top-heavy, over-managed and
ineffecient? Yes, but those are correctable problems. Once you break down
the factory lines and disperse the employees, you've lost more than the
firesale worth of the components. All the king's horses and all the king's
men wouldn't be able to put GM back together again. I hate the fact that
shareholders got wiped out, but share the gain, share the pain.

in a total collapse its assets would of been bought by china, and all
parts and final assembly would of been moved to china. all those
american jobs gone forever.

Absolutely. GM was worth saving if only because in WWII they helped saved
the free world.

all that would remain here would of been some large parts warehouses.

If that.

GM is paying the money back.

I saw a great ad on TV for GM showing other "greats" that have stumbled and
thanking the American people for helping them get back on their feet. You
didn't see the money-grubbing banks thanking anyone. They're the ones that
did this to us, and they got to feed at the public trough just as deeply as
GM.

without obama unemployment today would be about 25% just like the
great depression.....

Adding GM to the list of dead US companies wouldn't have helped the
unemployment rate, that's for sure.

--
Bobby G.