Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Harbor Freight wood stove?

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Bob F" wrote in message
Tony Miklos wrote:
Third page of the first flyer. Anyone have one of these Vogelzang
"boxwood" stoves? How are they for a garage? It wouldn't be running
all the time, just when I expect to spend a lot of time in the garage.
It's cast iron, but thin enough to get hot fast. I don't know if it
has any firebrick or not, which for quick heat I don't want
firebrick. It has to be safer than the 55 gallon drum stoves...
doesn't it?

It doesn't appear to be EPA rated, since they can't sell it here and
elsewhere, which means it probably is less efficient and smokes more than
rated ones.

You get what you pay for. I'd pay a little more, and get a better one, a
safer one, maybe even an old used one. Buy a good one, try to get a deal
in today's market, and don't be buying one a year from now because the HF
POS isn't what you need and you just wasted that money.

If you weld, build one. If you don't weld, maybe it's time you learn.

What I'd do.

Can I change my vote? Every time I go to Costco, and walk under those gas
heaters they have hanging from the ceiling, I think, "I want one of those."
Heating in a shop is a very spotty thing. From my experience, shops vary
wildly in their design, and efficiency of heating and cooling just because
of a lot of empty space. Unless you have rooms that can be closed off and
the heat kept in, one is spending a lot of time contributing to global
warming by trying to heat the out of doors. If there's a roll up, or people
going in and out a lot, forget it. Wood stoves are acceptable, but most
shops I have seen don't have the extra square footage all around the stove
to safely operate it, and then there's the tending of it and bringing in all
the wood. And sometimes the best thing is just to heat small areas or wear
warmer clothes.

Steve