Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Screw Thread Gauges

On 12/06/2010 07:41 AM, Searcher7 wrote:
Can I get recommendations of which and how many screw thread
gauges(gages?) one should own to cover the most common threads one is
likely to run into? (Including metric, but I live in the U.S.).

There seems to be a lot of overlap between gauges and I just want to
get what I need.

The screw thread gauge that I use most often is a thin strip of polished
stainless. The strip is graduated on each edge, one edge being
graduated in 1/32 inch intervals, while the other edge is graduated in
1mm intervals. For convenience, 1/16ths, 1/8ths, etc., are marked out
on the inch side, and centimeters are marked out on the metric side.

It works dandy for any thread pitch less than 6", although you sometimes
need a magnifying glass (our loupe) for finer threads.

For some reason, though, instead of being called a "universal thread
gauge" it's called a "ruler".

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services