Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT anyone got a Logitech Squeezebox set up on a NAS?

Phil Jessop wrote:
grrr wrote:
?

"Jim K" wrote in message

On Dec 5, 6:30 pm, Appelation Controlee wrote:
On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 17:59:46 +0000, Piers Finlayson

On 2010-12-05 17:19:55 +0000, Jim K said:
looks intelesting - though seems a bit "muddy" how to get to run off
NAS, than on a (on all the time :() PC
ta
Jim K
A NAS box is, strictly speaking, only intended to provide file
storage. If you want support for running a media server, you need a
more comprehensive operating system - for that, Piers' suggestion is
sound, although what he has isn't therefore only a NAS box..
Well, from my initial toe-dips into this murk (representing the
tentative start of one of my quantum leaps in home kit) it seems
eminentlly doable to run Loitech Squeezebox server on some NASs -
Logitech even provide installation instructions and support to certain
Netgear (i think) NAS products...

NAS appeals so far as:- quiet, low power consumption (10 - 15w),hopefully
unobtrusive - to be stashed away somewhere out of
sight...poss other +'s and -'s I haven't grasped yet ;)

Jim K

i have been using squeezeboxes for years, never on a nas though, the
forum here http://forums.slimdevices.com/ is very helpful

Gary

I have done almost the same as Piers. Intel atom board in a half height
case with 2x500GB internal drives, no screen, keyboard or CDROM etc. about
30W continuous. It stands on end to my left here, but could go anywhere I
can reach easily to reboot after a power cut, and where I can get mains
and an ethernet to it.
.
I thought about the loft..but decided against it. And where it is it saves
a networked print server as well.

Its a server for everything and rsyncs one disk to the other, more or
less, every night.

As my greatest fear is that a disk failure will lose years of work and
emails.

To be really secure you need to have 2 separate systems in 2 different
locations that are mirrored. The problem with multiple disks in a common box
like a NAS is the common box. If the power supply fails and overvolts the
drives you lose the lot - unless you then use a very expensive outfit
recover the raw data from the platters.

I have NEVER had a power supply fail that way in over 15 years of
running massed PC's. Its not a mode an SMPS goes into easily.

If a power tranny goes pop. it simply stops oscillating ad cooks itself
and a fuse. What has happened is the motherboards RAM and CPUS dust up
and disks also and in the end you get bad sectors or random core dumps
after about 5 years of 24x7. blowing the thing out with an air gun
usually nest you bit more time but after 5 years its not fit for
frontline duty any more. Then its time to get a bit MORE disk and copy
all the data over..

as far as twin locations goes, its really not an issue. If this house
goes up in smoke I will have more to worry about than loss of a few
years data. A lot IS backed up elsewhere.

The PCs are deliberately unbranded and cheap looking and the Mac is well
out of date and effin huge (G5) So not the sort of gear to flog down the
pub.

Last time they took the screen and monitor and keyboard, but not the PC
screwed into a 19" rack..they took the brand new telly and microwave and
the CD's bit left the vinyl stacked up in boxes on the floor. Too effin
heavy.

MMm. They must be out of gaol by now. 8 years they got IIRC.