Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K[_3_] Jim K[_3_] is offline

Default OT anyone got a Logitech Squeezebox set up on a NAS?

On Dec 6, 1:53 pm, Adrian C wrote:
On 06/12/2010 10:58, AlanD wrote:

"Jim wrote in message
looks intelesting - though seems a bit "muddy" how to get to run off a
NAS, than on a (on all the time :() PC
ta
Jim K

Have a look at the Qnap range of NASs. They support SqueezeCent
http://www.qnap.com/pro_application.asp?ap_id=71

Also Squeezebox server is supported (by Logitech) on Netgear's ReadyNAS
devices. eBuyer has been selling off some of these with a free drive
offer recently.

I've got an ReadyNAS Duo RND2000 with 2TB from a pair of mirror'ed
almost ready to go, but a bit busy at the moment with other stuff which
takes me away from it, to make a comment wether it's worth recommending
the investment (approx. 300 at the moment - yup I'm mad).

The achillies heal is the speed of the builtin processor, and if ye look
around the communities of those using NAS for huge collections, ye get
the impression that there are a few folks that are recommending harking
back to servers built around standard PC bits as the grunt involved in
indexing is a bit much for the standard stuff in some NAS boxes - that
were really born in the first place just for file serving duties.

funnily enough I've just been reading such posts on assorted forums
detailing issues for large collections!
The only "solutions" visible were "bigger faster NASs" with
commensurate bigger costs.... seems I may need to rethink or wait a
bit longer for things to fall out a bit more...

Cheers to all

Jim K