Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rearview mirror glue

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 02:56:06 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Ignoramus4371" wrote in message
m...
I want to glue a piece of steel to my truck's windshield, with some
threaded holes so I can attach anything to it (such as radar detector,
parking permits etc).

My question is, what sort of steel glues best and what is the right
surface prep. Should I sandpaper it? Should I sandpaper the glass?
What is that rearview glue exactly?

Also what is the minimum ambient temp at which I can do the gluing.

I tried some of that rear view mirror glue once ages ago, and the mirror
fell off again in a couple weeks. I followed the instruction on the back
exactly.

It sounds like you didn't hold it tightly against the glass for about
two minutes. I've seen guys tape 'em up after pressing them on, but
that doesn't work. YOu have to expend the time and energy to hold
them tight and immovable against the glass for at least 120 contiguous
seconds or the bond fails. DAMHIKT @ $5 a pop in '70s dollars...

I sanded the puck and the glass and put it back with JB Weld. It
stayed. Infact when the car was junked I tried to save the mirror because
the one in my truck then was cracked. I had to break the windshield and
grind off the glass to get the puck.

Wouldn't a buck at a junkyard have been cheaper in the long run?

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London