Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do I really need 200 A main service?

On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 20:35:53 -0500, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"RBM" wrote in message

"Dan Lanciani" ddl@danlan.*com wrote in message
In article , (RBM)
writes:

| "Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
|
| "RBM" wrote
| Wow, that's pretty funny. Of all the reasons one might find to
upgrade an
| electric service, "electric vehicles are on the way", is certainly
not
| one I would have thought of. I suppose with the new "Volt" coming
out
| with it's revolutionary 40 miles (best case scenario) on a charge,
people
| will be just tripping over each other to buy one. We electricians
will be
| backlogged for the next ten years trying to upgrade everyone's
service to
| accommodate these technological wonders.
|

| Funny today, maybe no so ten years from now. I read that California
is
| installing thousands of charging stations now. That is keeping some
| electricians busy.
|
| I'd put one in if I was buying a Tesla. You won't catch me driving
| Volt even though the payback is a mere 18 years or so.
|
| I think you hit the nail on the head. California is just putting more
nails
| in their financial coffin, but for those of us living in the real
world, the
| volt is a POS, and we can't afford the Tesla. I don't think I'll have
| worry about installing piles of electric car outlets for a while yet

Something I've wondered about the payback projections for electric
vehicles:
do they assume that there won't eventually be a road tax applied to the
electricity and if so is this a reasonable assumption? Or is there
already
some sort of compensating mileage tax?

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com

At this point, this administration is still trying to pay people to buy
them. Not to mention that this administration is buying something like 25%
of them itself. At some point, if some manufacturer builds one good enough
to be sold purely on it own merits, without subsidies, then they'll find a
way to tax them, my guess is by a per mile tax.

The house already passed the cap and tax plan to equalize the utility rates.
Maybe the Senate can kill and it won't be brought back up in the new house.

But rest assured they will find a way to tax it if electric autos become a
lasting reality.

As they should. Someone has to pay for the roads. Who better than the users?