Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do I really need 200 A main service?

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 20:06:21 -0500, Nate Nagel wrote:

On 12/05/2010 07:32 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"rlz" wrote
the electriv vehicle comments, I have a 5.9L v-8 in a 1500 Dodge
Ram to haul loads of construction and landscaping material. I just
can't imagine a electric vehicle that will handle that unless I haul
miles of extension cables.

Rob

Check out the engines on trains. If they take the diesel electric design
and adapt it to a pickup, it can be done. Cost is the issue. There are
large electric vehicles operating in other industries too. My guess is
we will not ever see it, but I'd never say it cannot be done.

GM is making hybrid pickups, which seem to be a much better idea than a
hybrid car, as the excess weight isn't nearly as much of a liability in
a truck, nor are truck buyers necessarily looking for nimble handling.
I don't think it ever had a Diesel version though.

Weight is important in trucks used as trucks (and being heavier they will
require more batteries). Also space is generally more of a premium than it is
in a "commuter".