Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K[_3_] Jim K[_3_] is offline

Default OT anyone got a Logitech Squeezebox set up on a NAS?

On 2010-12-05 19:35:22 +0000, Jim K said:

Well, from my initial toe-dips into this murk (representing the
tentative start of one of my quantum leaps in home kit) it seems
eminentlly doable to run Loitech Squeezebox server on some NASs -
Logitech even provide installation instructions and support to certain
Netgear (i think) NAS products...

NAS appeals so far as:- quiet, low power consumption (10 - 15w),
hopefully unobtrusive - to be stashed away somewhere out of
sight...poss other +'s and -'s I haven't grasped yet ;)

I'm using one of these as my PC:http://www.fit-pc.com/web/- actually
the older fit-PC, not fit-PC2.

It was claimed at around 4W for the PC itself. The two USB drives
obviously add to this, and I didn't bother checking their rated power
consumption.

mmmm $300 (£200) to $500 (~£350) *without disks, taxes, delivery*.....
seems pricey - especially if I already have a PC and a netbook and
just want to stream content (music and some file storage I imagine)

How much is a suitable NAS likely to cost me all in?

Jim K