Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RBnDFW RBnDFW is offline

Default compressor tank repair

On 12/4/2010 7:59 AM, RBnDFW wrote:
OK, so I got a deal - Like new 60-gallon Kobalt compressor for $125 on CL.
He said it had a hole in the tank, but he couldn't find it.

So I got it home powered it up, and sure enough, there's a hole in the
bottom It's about 1/16", in the weld area adjacent to the large drain
bung at the very bottom.
Now, this thing looks brand new. I really don't think it's rust
perforation. the paint wasn't bubbled, and there is no rust at the edges
of the hole. i think it was just a porous weld. Anyway, I'd like to fix it.

Here's what I'm thinking: Drill out to whatever diameter gives good
thickness.
Tap it, and screw in a bolt.
Then either braze or silver solder

Better suggestions welcome.

thanks for all the good input.

Despite the duct tape jokes, I think I'm going to try JB weld first. No
sense adding heat if I don't need to.
I intend to remove that big plug in the bottom first. that will let
me inspect the area with an inspection mirror. If it looks clean I'll
rough it up and use some JB putty on the inside. Then invert the tank
and apply JB Weld on the outside.

I suspect that should work fine for a long time. If not, I'll take it to
my welder friend.

removing the plug is a big "if". It's about 2.5" across the flats, maybe
bigger. The flats are narrow, so it would be hard to grip with a wrench
or pipe wrench. I do not have a socket that big. If i can't get it off,
welding/brazing may move to the top.