Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default TV with external speakers

On 12/5/2010 7:59 AM, Jay Hanig wrote:
On 12/5/2010 7:13 AM, wrote:
On Dec 5, 2:08 am, wrote:
The last 3 TVs I bought have audio line out jacks.
I have it hooked to regular PC speakers. You can get some real nice
ones if you are willing to spend $60-70.
Gearxs.com usually has some on sale but shop around..-

I guess the question is what the audio outputs are capable of driving
without assistance. I'd start with finding out the specs of the TV.
If in fact an amp is needed, I would think either Radio Shack or Ebay
would
be a place to look. There has to be small ones for such applications.

I hate the crappy sound that TVs produce and have always hooked them up
to a better system. I've got a home theater system for my main TV but
what I did for the one in the kitchen is just buy a very cheap used
stereo receiver off Craigslist and paired it to some small speakers.

The sound quality is light years beyond what I started with and I bought
the speakers and the receiver for about $50. You just have to watch the
ads for a few days and somebody will advertise some perfectly good
equipment for next to nothing simply to get it out of their house.

Jay

Or drive through an apartment complex on move-out day at the end of the
month, and look by the dumpsters. Most of my stereo equipment was
obtained that way. Not as good a source as it used to be, since most
younger folks (the kind that live in apartments) now seem to favor iPods
and such over traditional stereos. Some of the stuff worked as soon as I
plugged it in, a few needed the cat **** hosed out of them or a fuse
replaced, but very little was actually dead. I've gotten 5 or 6 complete
setups that way, and still have 2 or 3 after giving away or selling the
others in garage sales. Half of my TVs came from the little gray stores
as well. Good source for small microwaves, too. It was a lot easier when
I still lived in the apartments and could peek in the dumpsters as I did
my daily doctor-ordered mile walk- now I drive through a couple times a
week, and only stop if I see something sitting on top or beside, or
evidence of a move-out. (I pass my old apartments on my way to the
grocery store, so it isn't out of my way.)

--
aem sends...