kb8qlr \(a.k.a. Mr. Cheap\)

Default Does a zero clearance insert need to be fasten down?

Considering what a set screw might cost, that's pretty damn cheap. Sure your
name's not Jack Benny? :-)

--
Be sure to check-out our webpages...
http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/kb8qlrjoe/index.html
wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:48:22 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

The insert that came with the saw has a clip at the back and a screw at

the
front.
Does a zero clearance insert need those also?

I made mine out of 3/4" stock cause that is what I had and I can't

imagine
how it could move except straight up, but I know a 3450 rpm saw blade can

do
amazing things.

the original throat plate on my unisaw has a small nub at the rear
that keeps the back of the insert from raising up. i make zero
clearance inserts out of 1/2 inch lexan and make them with that same
nub. it isnt that hard to do and it adds some safety to the mix. also
the original does not have a hole in it to pick it up with in the
front but mine do. i dont like reaching over the blade to push the
rear down to remove it. i also use screws to level the plate. it
takes a little fiddling to get em right but i only have to do it once.
the original uses allen set screws that can be ajusted from the top
but im too lazy to drill and tap the holes and too cheep to buy the
allen set screws. :-] skeez