Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default The best invention ever.....

On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 11:40:21 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:
On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 09:01:24 -0500, Steve Walker
wrote:

Soak nozzle in lacquer thinner, blow out with compressed air. Attach
the shop-made "recharger nozzle" to a propane bottle, shoot some
liquid propane into the can to raise the pressure and blow the gorp
out of the tube inside.
This I'd like to know how to make.

It's a piece of brass turned to resemble a nozzle stem on one end
(drilled thru, of course) and threaded on the other end to screw into
an old Bernz-O-Matic torch body.

My version:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...anAdapter2.jpg

Bob

Yay Bob! I knew someone here had posted a photo in the past. I
thought it might have been Richard Kinch but I didn't find anything
like this on his truetex website.

Steve, that little slit on the end is necessary. It needn't be more
than maybe .030 or so long, but it has to be there. I made mine with
an .030" slitting saw in the mill. It could also be done with a
jeweller's saw or a Dremel.

Pull spray nozzle out of spray can, set can on firm bench on newspaper
or other surface where paint spillage wouldn't matter. Put on safety
glasses, full face shield if you might have a marketing meeting on
Monday. I don't wear a tuxedo when doing this operation, nor do it in
milady's parlor. I've also never lost more than a few drops of
paint, but the potential definitely exists.

Invert propane cylinder. Jam the nozzle into the rattlecan smartly.
If you wimp out here, there is gonna be a mess. Probably won't hit the
ceiling, though. Once jammed in, maintain downward pressure and open
the propane valve. Liquid propane will flow into your rattlecan until
pressures equalize. This could take a few seconds. Close valve, pull
nozzle out of rattlecan briskly. If you do it right you'll just get a
little "ffft" of propane and not lose a drop of paint.

The can won't explode, or at least I've never had one explode and I've
been doing this for two decades. They're made to safely withstand
the vapor pressure of propane even at fairly high temps, and propane
is, in fact, a fairly commonly-used propellant.