Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default G-codes past RS-274 a waste?

On 2010-12-04, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
I'm beginning to think that the only reason why manufactures add complex
cycles outside the RS-274 basic list is to save program size.

I'm trying to puzzle out what the difference is between a normal
rectangular pocket cycle and the Bridgeport G172 "pocket frame" cycle.

I have a supposedly working sample program using the G172, but absolutely
no docs on what its parameters are.

All it appears to do is make a rectangular pocket with ordinary radiused
corners.

So, what's with the name "pocket frame"?

Anybody here know?

No -- I don't *know*. But guessing from the name, I would
suggest that it does not bother clearing out the center area -- it
*just* cuts the frame (probably for cutting through a thin workpiece to
make a rectangular window to mount something in a panel.

The main thing is that it will save time and tool wear if you
only need to cut all the way through the workpiece instead of milling
out a blind bottomed pocket.

Try it and see what it does. (Or do you not have the machine
off the trailer and running yet?)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564