Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Arrrggghhh! - Metric Stuff Up!

Rich Grise wrote:
Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

"you have Crown Lagers in the half dozen packs"

He said. "No, we dont have them any more, you need to buy six...."

I was once working with someone who was from Israel, but spoke English
really well and was on a green card or maybe naturalized (think Ziva);
anyway, she was my supervisor on this one job, and she says, "Well, there's
these two things that need to be done, so you get to pick which one first,
which would you prefer?" or some such. There wasn't any difference between
the two things, so I said, "Meh, it's six of one and a half-dozen of the
other." She said, "What does that mean?"

Apparently she'd never heard the expression. Have you ever tried to explain
something like that to a non-native English speaker?

In my extended family we abstract that phrase one
step further: "Seis de uno"!

--Winston