Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
anorton anorton is offline

Default How NOT to remove a lathe chuck

"Sunworshipper" wrote in message
On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 12:18:19 -0800, "anorton"
wrote:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d27_1291395628

Could have ended up much worse. How many things did they do wrong?

That was just plain scary.

These kids now days are out there. I've had a 22-23 yr. old jump back
like a startled cat when I turned a lathe on for a second cause he was
asking questions. Somehow, I would guess computers, they are suppose
to try the unlikely to see if it works. My kid did something like that
in front of me, can't recall exactly what it was. Something to do with
audio video, like fast forward and rewind at the same time, but that
wasn't it. I guess as if there is a special feature hidden behind
trying to break it or one's self to see what happens.

SW

I think (some) high school kids have always done stupid things. Thinking
ahead to predict the possible outcomes of something you are about to try has
to be taught or learned the hard way. It does not always come naturally to
teens. What might be new is the idea exemplified by Jackass or Beavis and
Butt Head that it is alright to sit back and watch while your friend is
about to hurt himself. The guy with the camera must have figured something
was going to go wrong or he would not have started filming.