Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default G-codes past RS-274 a waste?

I'm beginning to think that the only reason why manufactures add complex
cycles outside the RS-274 basic list is to save program size.

I'm trying to puzzle out what the difference is between a normal
rectangular pocket cycle and the Bridgeport G172 "pocket frame" cycle.

I have a supposedly working sample program using the G172, but absolutely
no docs on what its parameters are.

All it appears to do is make a rectangular pocket with ordinary radiused
corners.

So, what's with the name "pocket frame"?

Anybody here know?

It couldn't have anything to do with preventing programs from being
portable from one brand of machine to another, of course.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services