Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rearview mirror glue

On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 12:28:01 -0600, Ignoramus4371
wrote:

I want to glue a piece of steel to my truck's windshield, with some
threaded holes so I can attach anything to it (such as radar detector,
parking permits etc).

My question is, what sort of steel glues best and what is the right
surface prep.

Flat.

Should I sandpaper it?

Yes, it can't hurt.

Should I sandpaper the glass?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

What is that rearview glue exactly?

Polyester Acrylic Epoxy?
http://fwd4.me/rMU purchase one, http://fwd4.me/rMV msds

Also what is the minimum ambient temp at which I can do the gluing.

Much higher than in Illinoise in the Wintertime.
RTFM, sir. Then don't even consider gluing at anywhere near the low
temp. It works better at higher temps. I know this from many reglues
in the warmer climes of LoCal. Nearly every wreck that came into the
body shop had a blown mirror or broken windshield, so I learned how to
remove the tab, clean it up, and glue it on the new w/s.

http://fwd4.me/rMY 65-85F, but after curing, it's good for -130 to
+230F. Since LoCal was always 70F, it wasn't a problem for me.

--
"Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty.
There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and