Posted to alt.home.repair

Default protect shallow pipe

On Dec 4, 10:51*am, " wrote:
On Dec 4, 3:13*am, Edward Reid
wrote:

Back to my gutter drains. Thin wall 4" PVC pipe, in some places buried
only a few inches deep -- no more than the pipe diameter. How best to
protect it?

I've thought of laying PT 1x4 on top of the pipe -- would not last
indefinitely (not ground contact rated) but perhaps decades. or PT 1x6
for a little extra. Or pour concrete in a thin layer, perhaps 4" wide
and 1/2" thick -- doesn't have to be strong, just stop a shovel long
enough to get the shovel-holder's attention.

Edward

or some 1/8 steel plate, paint it will last a long time.

why did you bury pipe so shallow?

or better replace pipe with schedule 40 it will deflect a regular
shovel

I don't know exactly what pipe you used, but at any HD there is plenty
of 4" pipe suitable for drainage use that is plenty durable to bury 4"
deep without any protection. I've yet to see any protection provided
for a gutter drain.