Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Angelo Campanella Angelo Campanella is offline

Default Old Sony Compact Disc Player skips a lot

"Clyde" wrote in message
The laser assembly in older Sony units is usually a KSS150A or KSS210A
(number visible on assembly panel). These tend to fail, I used to replace
these often in even then new CD units. You may even find one knocking
around as a lot of the budget brands also used this pick-up. Failing that
this particular optical unit is cheap to buy, have a look on eBay.

When it runs, I see no light at all. Shouldit be red or bue? There are
infrared style lasers that run around 1.1 microns wavelength (visible is 1/2
micron).

So what do I look for to buy a replacement? and if I get one, how do I
install it?

To me it does sound like laser failure. As far as the pots are concerned,
I've never had much luck altering these, you really need a laser power
meter, and you have to be very careful as the laser diode is easily
damaged.

If it is vsible light, it shoud be quite evident.

Another thing, this sensor appears to position its lens right up against
the CD disk... If it's spaced away, it an't be more than a millimeter or so.

I mic'd the disk thicknesses. They are all 41 to 42 mils thick, about
1.05mm.

Ange