Andy Dingley

Default Cove and pin Joint

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 09:54:43 -0800, "TeamCasa"
wrote:

I need a little help. I have been given an old drawer to repair that has
cove and pin jointry.

Popular in the USA around the 1880's - 1890's and made by the
Wisconsin Dovetailing Machine.

I don't understand this joint. Just about everything is wrong with it,
in terms of strength and grain layout. The coped edge adds negligible
strength to the joint, so all load is taken on those pins.

You can make the loop side of the joint by drilling and a coping saw.
Tedious handwork, but not too bad for a restoration job. It's unlikely
(unless you find one of the old machines, or make a shaper cutter)
that you'll tool up to make them in bulk.

The cope and pin side needs to be machine cut, but this isn't that
hard - unless you're trying to match an existing piece. You need a
plug cutter (fairly common) and a simple home-made jig to slide the
workpiece across with a peg and row of holes to act as a stop. You can
also do it with a Forstner bit and inserted dowel pegs. As broken
pegs are a common repair, then this is also a useful way to fix them.

I've only made these once, just as an example. I was unimpressed with
the results and I've never made them again.