Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Miklos[_2_] Tony Miklos[_2_] is offline

Default Making concrete look old & dirty

On 12/2/2010 12:40 PM, blueman wrote:
I need to patch some concrete outside and I want to be able to match the
color (basically 'dirty looking') and make it look old& weathered.

Can I just add a little 'dirt' (i.e. soil) to the mix to make it look
darker and dirtier or will this create problems such as encouraging
organic growth or weakening the concrete (I would only add a little
bit).

Any better ways to weather concrete?

Note: it's only a small patch so I was hoping for something simple and
cheap...

I've sprinkled iron/steel filings on new concrete then mist it with
water. Cover it with plastic so it has time to rust before it dries
out, keep it wet. I've also mixed some filings in with the concrete but
it's really a guess at how much it will stain.