Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Arrrggghhh! - Metric Stuff Up!

On Dec 3, 11:11*am, rangerssuck wrote:
On Nov 30, 2:07*am, Andrew VK3BFA wrot

Let's see, was that measure once, cut twice? Feed a fever, oh hell...

Seriously, though, it's a good idea to have a few "constants"
mmemorized, just to be able to give a sanity check. For instance:

1mm ~ .040"
1cm ~ 0.4"
1M ~ 1 yard
1L ~ 1 quart
5ml ~ 1tsp

You also ought to measure (and memorize) things like the length of
your thumb(knuckle to tip), the span of your hand (thumb to pinky) and
the span of your outstretched arms (fingertip to fingertip). These are
great for quick estimates.

I agree. But knowing those things is not the same as being able to
think in a different set of dimensions. If you ask me the distance
from my house to the road in meters, I will think in yards and convert
to meters.

Thank God that electricity is all metric.

Dan