Posted to alt.home.repair

Default outlet on when thermostat on

On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 01:42:55 -0800, mike wrote:

wrote:
On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 18:38:36 -0800, mike wrote:

Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

Looking for a cheap but reliable solution.

I want a fan to turn on when my thermostat is on. Is there a gizmo that
would do that for me. My fan is line voltage.

Many thanks in advance,

Sam
Just tripped over this at home depot.
Wonder if one could cut a hole in the plastic
and adjust the thermostat? Or maybe it's not adjustable.

http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/7141_spec.pdf

Good luck getting into it - and then the thermostat is most
definitely going to be a non-adjustable unit.
Likely a solid state chip switching a triac.

Don't know why I bother...
If you'd read the link, you'd know it's not a triac.

OK, I looked down the specs a bit farther - my bad - it's not
electronic - just a simple bimet thermostat - but my "good luck" still
holds - and any adjustment, if possible at all, would be "hit and
miss". Lots of better solutions available.

The same supplier has the Duct-Stat
http://www.smarthome.com/3018/DuctSt...t-DS100/p.aspx
that will do EXACTLY what you want it to do, is adjustable out of the
box, and can be used for either heat on or cold on applications.

And ONLY $25.00.
It's only good for 5 amps, not 15,