Posted to alt.home.repair
ROANIN[_2_] ROANIN[_2_] is offline

Default Electric Water Heater

Jon Danniken wrote:
ROANIN wrote:

So if I have an electric heater that is an old Westinghouse that I
figure was made in 1954 or so, would I save money with a new model? I
figure that any heat lost out of the water heater would be offset the
heat required by my furnace.

They don't make 'em like they used to, mate. Still, I hope you have
a full drip pan and line out underneath that thing.

Jon

Actually it is in the basement pretty close to the sump pump hole so if it
springs a leak it would not be a big deal except for the incovienience. I am
going to probably replace it here soon. Actually you are right, they don't
make them like they used to. This thing is a real tank. Very heavy duty
looking, however, it does not have a dip tube at all, the pressure relief
valve is on the hot line just outside the tank, and the cold water enters
the tank at the bottom. I just hate to replace it when it is working fine.
Oh by the way, I do have a timer on it. As for the insulation, it is
fiberglass. I do not have NG so I heat with Fuel Oil. However I used to have
a house that was all electric. This is pretty popular in this area. My
electric is about 8.5 cents per KWH and that house cost me less electric
than this place and it is a smaller house. So we will see if the bill
decreases with the new heater.