Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Amount of lighting

On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 23:08:01 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 19:54:01 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

So, how much of this affects the generation of clean light in fluor
instances, generally on 120v single phase systems?

For all you ever wanted to know about power line harmonics, go to:
http://ewh.ieee.org/conf/tdc/elimina...t_Problems.pdf

The problem is also very real in single phase distribution systems
(120/240). The flourescent ballasts are electronic, just like the
computer power supplies referenced in the above-mentioned article.

Tanks. Will peruse. Hmm, I didn't see any single phase info the first
time through.

The harmonics can be REALLY nasty.
Which is why, for computers (particularly servers and high power
workstations), I STRONGLY recommend DUAL CONVERSION UPS units - which
totally decouple the harmonics from the power line, and vise versa.

I've had a UPS on the computer since the early '90s, after losing the
best sales pitch I ever made to an instantaneous glitch which rebooted
my computer on me. I vowed that it would never happen again.

Are they really causing problems in fluor fixtures? I don't recall
ever having heard that before. Symptoms, besides fire?

--
"Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty.
There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and