Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jeff_wisnia[_4_] jeff_wisnia[_4_] is offline

Default The best invention ever.....

Rich Grise wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 00:44:20 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Or you can punch a hole in the can and dump the paint into an
airbrush.

Video, please! I'd like a demonstration of how to punch a hole in a
pressurized aerosol can and capture the contents. Might this involve
use of a plastic bag and a .22 rifle?

Nah. In the "instructions" for using a spray can, they tell you that
when you're done with the job, turn it upside down so the tube only
gets propellant gas, and spray till the spray head is cleared out.

Of course, this uses up the propellant when about 1/2 the product is
left, at which point there is no excess presssure, and you can take the
top off with a "church key." ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

I'd be a little carefull with the church key thing just in case the can
isn't fully emptied of propellant because of a nozzle clog.

See:

What I've done is to stand the can upright on my garage bench (with the
garage door open) and carefully tap an awl through the top near its edge
until a tiny hole opens up, then wait for the propellant to exhaust
before opening the hole further just to make sure. I then use the church
key thing to drain the contents.

If you happen to use a men's hair spray like I do, I've found that the
nozzle NEVER clogs if I just remember to stick it under running water
from the sink faucet for a couple of seconds before putting it away. I
tought SWMBO the same trick, it saved my having to wast time "fixin" her
hair spray cans.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia