Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Why is a multi-room DVR something worth crrowing about?

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 21:09:01 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

wrote
Why? I"ve had multi-room VR since 1984 -- would have had it earlier
if I'd had a VCR earlier -- when there was only VCR, and it plays in 7
rooms, plus my attic or porch if I want, not just 3 or 4 rooms like
they advertise.

I think his point was not about DVR relative to VCR, but getting multi-
room capability with either. I think he's proposing that you can
extend one of either device to other rooms via an amp and cable.
But as James pointed out, the Verizon and similar offerings are a lot
more sophisiticated than that.

Exactly. When in bed at night I can watch a show I recorded last week with
the click of the remote. He has to bet his ass over to the vcr, put in the
correct tape, and every room of the house has the same show at the same
time. The sophistication of the DVR and remote scheduling is far superior
than any single VCR. Series recordings, quick ability to change, multiple
recording and playing, not to mention the quality of an HD picture.

The OP is either very naïve is is getting a chuckle from the clamoring of
the DVR crowd.

mm's primary fascination is television. He lives alone, yet owns 7 TVs,
one in each room. He spends a great deal of time on this hobby, and
takes it quite seriously. I'd guess that half the threads he starts have
to do with TV.

Maybe it is half, or almost.

He's not entirely conversant on the latest technology, but he's not at
all a technophobe. He reaches out, asks questions, studies, thinks,
experiments. He lusts for understanding. I'm pretty sure that his attic
is an absolute maze of cables,

Yes.

reminiscent of that movie "Brazil."

Well now I'll have to see that movie.

He's slightly wacko, but I respect him.

Thank you.

P&M, though your email address doesn't quite look real