Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike[_12_] mike[_12_] is offline

Default Emachines Motherboard Failure Loss Of Onboard Video No StartupT3410 Desktop PC

Wild_Bill wrote:
I wouldn't think these steps would be possible with the failed m-bd since
there was no POST or video output, or access to BIOS setup.

With no POST then there's not much you can do - it may not make sense
to spend anymore time on the old
board, but I wonder , if you have one of those IR thermometers, if you
can find any caps that are suspiciously warm when the power is applied
to it.

The new board is operating as it should, but I didn't check to see if the
drivers and BIOS are the newest versions shown on the Emachine support site.
The BIOS version shows up briefly after/during POST on older machines, but I
didn't look for it after the new board was installed.

The old CPU or the m-bd have failed, most likely.. and if I were willing to
throw more money into it, I could first replace some electrolytic caps that
have suspiciously high ESR (small 100uF several of 'em, and a couple of
others), or buy a new CPU.

The larger value caps for the CPU voltages appear to be connected in
parallel, so the in-circuit ESR readings aren't reliable. Desoldering them
for testing isn't a big deal, but the board is old and wasn't a high grade
board when new.

I had a fairly reliable Emachines system for several years, but, after
developing bulging caps over a period of months it finally just
refused to start up one day - I hadn't any experience changing out
caps at that time,
kinda wish I'd held onto it, once I'd had a few successes reviving a
few things with new capacitors.

Mike