Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair
John MacLeod John MacLeod is offline

Default RAC Portable Power Station, need DC adaptor spec

On Dec 2, 10:01*am, Adrian C wrote:
http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/a...r/IMG_3573.jpg

A neighbour has dropped in with his discharged and dead "RAC Portable
Power Station and Engine Starter" which he obtained without the
necessary DC charger. The starter is a dayglo orange heavy thing with a
handle and says it can crank 400 Amps.

Anyway, written on the front of the DC input socket, it claims it needs
16V - so I've got it charging up of one of my laboratory supplies set at
that.

Initially connecting it up, it was was drawing about 100mA. After 5
hours it's now drawing 400mA. Must have some 'inteligence' in it.

So I'd guess a 16V 500mA adaptor (or thereabouts) would be a suitable
replacement. But to check if anyone has one of these, could ye check
what's written on the mains adaptor? And can find for reference the user
instructions?

My Silverline 38Ah Jump starter -- and yes, unlike an awful lot of
these things, it actually works and will start a 2.5 litre diesel with
a flat battery -- has a charger that's marked 15v 500mA.