Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Batteries That Do Not Leak w/Age?

On 12/1/2010 12:39 PM Jeff Liebermann spake thus:

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 13:55:39 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

So why do you get *something* while I get *nothing*? Null. Nada. Zip.

Have you cleared your catche?

Yes. Did nothing. (I did use ipconfig, which did flush the cache, but it
made no difference.)

So today I tried something: loading the page in IE. (That shows you just
how loathe I am to use that POS.) It loaded the page. Sort of.

I think this comes down to a "purity" issue. Let me explain.

IE did load something, but I'd hardly call it a useable web page. As the
status indicator at lower left so succinctly puts it, it was "Done, but
with errors on page". I believe these errors are on the part of the site
owners, but of course I can't be sure.

As rendered by IE, there's a *huge* expanse of blank blue space above
the page, and the page is badly formatted, with the forum list sqoze
into a narrow column on the left side.

So what I *think* happens with Firefox is that it detects errors, and
then, in the infinite wisdom of its geekish authors, simply refuses to
go any further, resulting in a COMPLETELY BLANK PAGE. (I've objected to
this behavior for years, arguing that in an imperfect world full of
imperfect and non-compliant web coding that it's better to render
*something* than to put one's nose in the air, metaphorically speaking,
and refuse to render *anything*--or at least leave this option up to the
user--but no, the geeks insist on purity here, damn the real-world
consequences.)

So bottom line is that with the software I have, including a pretty
up-to-date version of FF, I cannot view this page.

If you care to diagnose further:

W2K, SP 4
Sygate firewall
Dial-up access
No proxies, spyware (that I know of), virii, etc.