Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Emachines Motherboard Failure Loss Of Onboard Video No Startup T3410 Desktop PC

I wouldn't think these steps would be possible with the failed m-bd since
there was no POST or video output, or access to BIOS setup.

The new board is operating as it should, but I didn't check to see if the
drivers and BIOS are the newest versions shown on the Emachine support site.
The BIOS version shows up briefly after/during POST on older machines, but I
didn't look for it after the new board was installed.

The old CPU or the m-bd have failed, most likely.. and if I were willing to
throw more money into it, I could first replace some electrolytic caps that
have suspiciously high ESR (small 100uF several of 'em, and a couple of
others), or buy a new CPU.

The larger value caps for the CPU voltages appear to be connected in
parallel, so the in-circuit ESR readings aren't reliable. Desoldering them
for testing isn't a big deal, but the board is old and wasn't a high grade
board when new.

--
Cheers,
WB

"mike" wrote in message

Wild_Bill wrote:
A friend's Emachine T3410 began displaying incorrect/odd colors and then
the
video output stopped. He didn't mention the "funny colors" to me, only
that
it had happened, and that now there was no video.

After substituting a known good PSU in the machine (with the HDD and DVD
disconnected), I've concluded that the onboard CPU supply is bad or
another
mainboard fault, and that the (maybe 4.5 year old) machine should be
replaced.
I did advise my friend that a new m-bd and CPU combo could be bought for
about $60, so it's up to him.

Hey WB -

if it were mine, before giving up on it (either the old or the new
board) I'd try loading the
both the chipset driver and the vga driver packages that they have on
the Emachines support site, from the dates listed, they're both much
newer than the MB - if you already tried that, nevermind...

Good luck,

Mike