Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Another 'multi-tool' question

wrote:
On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 13:17:38 -0800 (PST), Joe wrote:

On Nov 30, 3:04 pm, "Bob-tx" NOBSPAM wrote:
Only this one is dumb.
I have a garage full of tools, some I
bought as far back as 50 years ago.

When I have seen the threads on here
about 'multi-function' tools, I rather figured
you were talking about like a pair of pliers
with a screw driver on one leg of the grip.

You know, something like a Swiss Army
knife - one tool with lots of gadgets. I never
thought much of these sort of things, and
steered away from them, so I didn't pay much
attention to these multi-tool threads.

But, after reading a few, I have determined
that this old man doesn't know as much
as he thought he did. So my question is:

What the heck is a 'multi-tool'?

It's a saw, scraper sander, etc. Helluva deal for the price.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Bob-tx

Look it it up on
www.harborfreight.com. Click on 'Buy Now'. You'll be
glad you did.
You're welcome.

Joe

Yea, except DO NOT buy it from Harbor Freight. All I have seen on
this newsgroup is people having problems with them, particularly the
blades breaking or getting chewed up quickly. And it now appears that
you have to get replacements ONLY from HF.

You must be Lexdyksic.

1. There have been NO reports of HF tool failure on this newsgroup. If I'm
wrong, please re-post the complaint.

2. The ONE instance of reported blade breaking involved another brand.
Here's the post from Mike D on November 29th.

"Ok, so I bought one at Sutherlands, an off brand, but better than HF
quality, Genesis brand. I replaced 1 window and the blade shattered. I went
to the Borg and they said I need to buy the brand-specific blade. Aren't
they interchangable?"

3. Your claim of blade uniqueness is patently false. I have used (and
reported here) Dremel blades in my HF Twitching Tool. Others have reported
using blades from both Bosch and Fein (that I recall). Still others have
reported using HF blades in their Dremel and Fein.

4. The ONE recent report of "blades getting chewed up quickly" came from a
user removing caulking from a brick wall. As I recall, his was an
observation, not a complaint. Bricks WILL dull a blade quickly. Any blade.