Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default How do you store your stock?

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
On 11/30/2010 2:47 PM, spaco wrote:

What ways have you found to solve this problem of stock storage?

Depends on size, length, and shape. Lots of short stuff can be stored with
good accessibility when stored vertically. Talking of flat bar, round
stuff, rod, etc.

Full 20' lengths are good on wall racks with dividers starting at zero, then
two, four,six, ten, fifteen, and twenty (minus six inches on the ends), that
allow you to store some shorter pieces.

Flat stock like plate or sheet is different. I saw a neat rack at a glass
shop that was 5'tall x 9 wide, with a stairstep every eight inches
diagonally, and vertical rods every eight inches, that allowed flat
materials to be stored standing up, and in a section corresponding to its
height. Full sheets on either end, then two of each of the other heights in
a way to keep it all visible and accessible. If one has the room, and uses
enough flat sheet goods, a nice setup, otherwise takes up a lot of space.

Round pipes vertically will hold a lot of things, and after that, "stuff"
just has to be put where it will go. Checkerboard grids on the vertical
will also hold lots of stuff and keep it visible.

I like hanging stuff from the ceiling, as that is usually unused space, it
keeps it off the floor making more work space, and if you use grating or
shelving, can stuff a lot of stuff up there, and still see what you got
without having to dig.

But, alas, there is never enough room.

Steve