Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Arrrggghhh! - Metric Stuff Up!

CaveLamb on Tue, 30 Nov 2010 08:08:35 -0600
pyotr filipivich wrote:
Andrew VK3BFA on Mon, 29 Nov 2010 23:07:18 -0800
(PST) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Bloody metric measurements - great system, couldn't and wouldn't argue
against it. But.....

Consider this scenario, good people. Ducted heating furnace in the
roof was having a good go at coming through the ceiling (being a
skilled metalworker, and a RCM lurker, I knew straightaway something
was wrong..) Turned out to be crappy install job, vis
1.Vent pipe not sealed properly (so it leaked)
2.Was sitting on a sheet of particle board crap stuff so it rotted
through
3.No drip tray set up for stuff ups.

So. Decided to get a drip tray made, its a metric world, so did it all
in Metric so as to give the order for the tray to the local plumbing
supply place. Measured L by B, added 10mm each side for the folded
lip, and put the order in. Picked it up, thought "Mmmm..."

Seems I had stuffed up the decimal point in my metric calculations -
was 200mm wider than required (length was stuffed too, but that was OK
- was room up in the roof cavity) so, couldnt get the ******* up
through the access hatch into the roof. So, had to cut it down - heaps
of work...

The Moral - I cant think in Metric, cant visualise in Metric, cant
look at metric measurements and think "nah, no way - too wide/long/
narrow thick etc etc"

How you guys cope - bloody sick of doing this...

Layout in Imperial, convert to Metric at the last.

Skip the conversion?

If you can, then do so.

The problem that the OP had is trying to "visualize" how big a
sheet of metal is, when the numbers are expressing in System
International (aka Metric). If you "grow up" with one system, it is
often hard to visualize the other "new" system. We in the US know how
big a 3 foot by 5 foot thing is, but a 1 meter by 1.5 thing is 'how
big???" (Answer: pretty much the same size).
It is an experience thing.

Like watching me paw through the tool bag, with the mix of metric
and standard wrenches.

tschus
pyotr
--