Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default Arrrggghhh! - Metric Stuff Up!

On 11/29/2010 11:59 PM, Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

Is it any wonder that the US has resisted the conversion to metric?

Only with partial success, at least in the automotive world. My Escort
is a mix of inch and metric, and there's a gray area where I am not sure
which I'm going to encounter.

Something I found humorous in Australia... First thing I did at a large
store (Big W), I checked out the hardware section. I was rather amused
to find what I knew to be a 1/4-20 bolt approx 1" long as "1/4 x 30mm".

I stopped by an engineering supply company (more or less the equivalent
of MSC) in Wagga Wagga, and was surprised to find a decent selection of
nice quality inch taps in stock. Talking to one of the salesmen, they
stock a decent selection of inch taps, as well as inch hardware, and
what they don't have in stock can be ordered. So even in a supposedly
metric country, Imperial hardware survives.

Jon