Posted to alt.home.repair

Default outlet on when thermostat on

On Nov 30, 2:30*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
*Sam Takoy wrote:

Hi,

Looking for a cheap but reliable solution.

I want a fan to turn on when my thermostat is on. Is there a gizmo that
would do that for me. My fan is line voltage.

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

A guy over at sci.electronics.repair recommended this circuit for you:

http://www.xkcd.com/730/

The only part of the thermostat that turns on the fan is the fan
switch if he has one. Otherwise the thermostat calls for heat or
cooling. When the fan gets turned on depends on what kind of forced
air system he has. He was never clear on if he wanted the power on
when the fan was on for both cooling and heating. Or even if he had
both heating and cooling. A relay is probably the mst practical and
code compliant solution. But if you didn't care about long term
maintainability you could just run a piece of 14/2 from the fan in the
furnace.